Monday, March 13, 2006

Railroad Crossing


This is an 18 x 24 oil on canvas called "Railroad Crossing". I had alot of fun with the surface of this painting, alot of build up and glazing. This one really needs to be seen in person. It has a real urban grit, the limited palette worked well for the subject. I started with just a burnt sienna lay-in, let it dry, and then began to paint an overall coolish variety of impasto grays. This gave emphasis to any remaining warm and thinly painted areas. But the sky was my favorite area to paint.

"Railroad Crossing" was the first painting to sell out of my previous Tirage show. Two clients were at the gallery previewing the show before it opened, they both happened to want this one. Since the show hadn't opened yet, the gallery let the buyer take the painting home and nobody else got to see it. *bummer*

6 comments:

Jesse said...

I dig your paintings. They have a really nice sense of light that seems to capture a time of day, if that makes sense.

tonypetersart said...

Thanks jesse. I'm fascinated by the way light falls across my subject matter. It really emphasizes the drama or mood of an artwork.

Anonymous said...

You are certaily one of the Great up and coming new artist of this century. It is good to actually see your work.

tonypetersart said...

Thanks Clint!

My website (www.tonypetersart.com)is in dire need of updates, but unfortunately my web guy is pretty useless. So to be proactive, I started this blog to showcase my newest work that's not on there. I appreciate all the feedback I get from folks too, I'm glad I did it.

william wray said...

I don't remember this one, really nice. I love the sky.

tonypetersart said...

Thanks dude. Not alot of people saw this one, it pre-sold before the exhibition.