Friday, January 12, 2007

Cuyamaca Reserve



This is a 10x12 inch plein-air painting I did called "Cuyamaca Reserve". The area is up in the mountains, just east of San Diego. The last time I had been to this place before I painted it was for 6th grade camp as a kid. As I was working out there on location with my friend Bill Wray, the sun went down behind those trees and my fingers froze. I had to finish the piece in the studio later. I think I poured way too much time into it for such a small painting, but I like how it turned out. The broken color and the impressionist's palette were challenging for me.

8 comments:

william wray said...

I remeber that place, it was a really odd combination of nature messed with by man and it was cold as hell that day.

C. Ousley said...

Great news on the future Leyendecker books. I like your work and really like the drawing with the lady in boots and this painting as well.

tonypetersart said...

Hey Bill,
Yeah, lately that area up there in the mountains seems more like redneck territory than a state reserve.

tonypetersart said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
tonypetersart said...

Hey c. ousley,

I'm a huge Leyendecker fan. Thanks for your kind words about my work.

Jesse said...

I find the softness of this very appealing. If feels comfrotable.

tonypetersart said...

Thanks Jesse, that's what I was hoping for. One of the reasons for my attempts at plein-air painting is an effort to not be such a hard-edge painter all the time.

Andrew said...

Really eye catching pictures...

Thanks for sharing...
___________________
Andrew
Lock in your price today for Your favorite channels - and keep it there until 2010!